Design Engineer - Red Deer, AB
Location: Red Deer, AB, Canada
Date Posted: Mar 9, 2023
The Design Engineer is accountable for the development and design of non–destructive excavation equipment. Responsibilities will include the preparation of CAD models, FEA simulations, manufacturing drawings, work closely with manufacturing, and ensure designs conform to applicable standards and regulations. Badger is a safety-oriented company, and it is important to use this to help develop a competitive advantage and raise the standards of the industry.
- Develops and executes a 1-year business plan ensuring alignment with the overall corporate strategic plan and immediate manager’s business plan.
- Designs manufacturing processes and products with various criteria in mind, including cost-effectiveness, user experience, and environmental standards.
- Researches opportunities for new products and systems then creates prototypes.
- Sets individual initiatives for performance and deadlines supporting Badger’s manufacturing goals.
- Ensures compliance to Badgers safety policies, regulations, and compliances and high service standards.
- Develops and prepares engineering drawings from preliminary concepts, sketches, perform engineering calculations, specification sheets and CAD models.
- Creates, maintains, and updates engineering records, designs, documentation, and drawing packages.
- Checks and verifies design drawings to conform to specifications and design data.
- Provides expertise on digital design and implementation.
- Responds promptly to the shop floor's needs in response to addressing issues that may surface during production regarding the manufacturing specs, bills of material, or routing.
- Supports preparation of budgets and timelines for projects.
- Participate in cross-functional, continuous improvement teams as the opportunity presents itself as authorized by direct manager.
- Education: Mechanical Engineering Degree from an accredited University or Institute
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with APEGA
- 10+ years of design engineering experience
- 3D CAD experience, including standardized drafting practices (Solidworks preferred); experience with PDM CAD server would be beneficial but not required
- Strong working knowledge of common software packages (MS Office, Acrobat, etc.)
- Experience with FEA is preferred
- Experience designing mechanical components and assemblies in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to take ‘concept’ to reality; ability to develop accurate manufacturing specs in a timely manner
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Willingness to learn from ones mistakes, take responsibility and not afraid to ask for help
- Strong brainstorming skills with an ability to create innovative solutions; an out of the box thinker
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Sound technical background (hands-on) with logical deductive reasoning approach
- Interest in developing technical skills through both internal and external training
- Conviction to improve personally and support continuous improvement in the department and company as a whole
- High level of personal integrity and possess a professional and mature demeanour
- Fully applies oneself to the requirements of the position
In accordance with applicable law, the following represents Badger’s reasonable estimate of the hiring compensation range for this role.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $80,000.00 - $115,000.00
Compensation may vary and will be determined by the geographic location, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.
Will be required to successfully complete pre-employment screening, which includes criminal background check, driver’s abstract review, and drug and alcohol test.
Badger Daylighting, and its parent company Badger Infrastructure Solutions Ltd. (TSX:BDGI), is North America’s largest provider of non-destructive excavating services. We work for contractors and facility owners in a broad range of infrastructure industries, including energy generation, electricity and natural gas transmission networks, roads and highways, telecommunications, water and sewage treatment and general municipal infrastructure.
Our key technology is the Badger HydrovacTM, which is used primarily for safe excavation around critical infrastructure and in congested underground conditions. The Badger Hydrovac uses a pressurized water stream to liquefy the soil cover, which is then removed with a powerful vacuum system and deposited into a storage tank. Badger manufactures and designs our truck-mounted hydrovac units, giving us the opportunity to incorporate feedback from our hydrovac operators into existing and future design and manufacturing processes.